Volvo 1800S / P1800S - SOLD
Beautiful 1967 Volvo 1800 S (Built '66)
- 1.8litre twin SU with Overdrive
- Recent restoration
- Stunning Aston Martin Tungsten Silver Paint
- Bespoke Cream / Black Nappa Interior
Originally designed by Pelle Petterson in 1957 the first Prototype P958-X1 was originally taken to Karmann with the intention that production would take place there. However with the production of the Karmann Ghia already taking place Volkswagen forbade Karmann to take on the project and it wasn't until the 1960 Brussels Motor Show where Jensen Motors agreed to take on final manufacture with the bodies being produced by Pressed Steel, Scotland and these then being shipped down to West Bromwich for the final Assembly. With a planned intial build of 10,000 units production of the P1800 commenced in Sept 1960, however build quality issues saw only 6000 cars being built and production was switched to Volvos in-house plant at Gothenburg in 1963. The car now known as the 1800S (S for Sverige / Sweden) received a number body / interior and mechanical changes with these occuring throughout the vehicles production, including later fuel injection models, the E Coupe and ES Shooting-Brake and in total 47,484 cars were produced.
With its superior build quality and most un-Volvo like styling the P1800 / 1800S models appeared in a number of advertising campaigns against much more exotic motors, Ferrari / Maserati alike, but most people will remember the car for its numerous appearances in the 1960's series The Saint, starring Roger Moore (later to become 007 himself) and classic car aficionados will also know that a 1966 1800S owned by Irv Gordon holds the World Record for surpassing 3,000,000miles.
Offered for sale, with a heavy heart, is 'Penny' our own 1967 1800S, which we have privately owned since 2012. The 1800S has had a total of 5 owners (2 within the same family), with the keeper previous to us having owned the car for 30yrs. Collected by myself from Taunton, Somerset the car (click link for chassis no: 19762 ) was bought as a 'barn find' and brought home for her new life to begin. Knowing that a restoration was in order I decided to check the condition of the engine and finding that it was free I managed have her running in less than an hour....Volvo reliability!
Over the course of the next 2yrs the car was fully stripped and restored with invoices for several £0000's, with work including:
- Engine - Fully stripped, pressure tested and rebuilt using reground crank / camshaft, new fibre timing gear, new bearings, piston rings, radiator recore, twin SU carbs rebuilt and new 'orginal specification' exhaust system fited.
- Gearbox - inspected and found only to need minor service, new clutch / master cylinder / slave cylinder.
- Brakes - Calipers stripped and recondition, new rear pistons, drums, pads, brake servo / master cylinder etc.
- Suspension - Fully stripped, replacement joints, trackrods, bushes, wheel bearings and components powder coated or repainted before being built up.
- Wheels - Stripped and powder coated, Hub caps and beauty rings are original to car and have been rechromed and polished. New Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres fitted.
- Electrics / Lighting - Wiring loom replaced. Rear light lens housings rechromed and lens replaced. Front lens housing replaced, chrome rings rechromed and new headlights installed.
- Body - Stripped and placed on Rotisserie. Jacking points x2, rear arch sections x2, headlight rings, rear valance repair and body then fully prepped with attention being made to ensure that all the correct seems remained in place. Although the car was originally red (paint code 46) we decided that this didn't suit her stunning lines and after careful consideration we choose Aston Martin Tungsten Silver (Paint Code AST 1262) and feel this really compliments the curves, subtle rear wing fins and chrome.
- Chrome / Rubbers - All window chrome and rubbers replaced for new. Bumpers, grill surround stripped and rechrome. All new badges fitted.
- Interior - Full professional retrim in cream nappa leather. Seats fully stripped, frames repainted, all foam, webbing replaced. The retrim then involved fully matching the original seat pattern and includes Volvo badge embossing on the door cards and rear seat and you'll even find the map pockets in the footwells. To compliment the seats the dash has been recovered in hand stiched black nappa leather, the steering wheel is leather bound, carpets have been tailor made in Flint Grey (this extends to a complete boot relining) and we even went as far as having the seat belts remade in grey, with all interior brightwork being rechromed. New headling and new sunvisors finish off a completely bespoke interior and this really oozes quality.
Finally completed in late 2013 our 1800S passed her first MOT (Apr 2014) in over 28yrs and in the last 2 1/2yrs we have travelled 1700miles (speedo now shows 7621miles) with only routine maintenance being needed along the way.
With a real eye for detail we really wanted to build something to be proud of and our 1800S attracts a great deal of positive attention; impromptu car meetings in Supermarket carparks, casual chats outside the pub or Post Office are often part of any journey. Sold with a history folder through our ownership, including a copy of Volvo 1800 - The Complete Story, a rare Danbury Mint 1800S model, a selection of spares, custom built removable dash cover in grey (this protects the black leather and is anti glare), custom built booster seat (in matching cream nappa and original seat pattern), indoor car cover and MOT until July 2017. With concours examples now commanding £35-45,000 our Volvo 1800S is in excellent condition, priced sensibly, sold strictly as a private sale and ready for 'Penny' to find a loving new owner.
+ Read More
- Read Less
My recent purchase of a Volkswagen Beetle from Absolute Classic Cars could not have gone more smoothly. The enthusiasm of both Mark and Carl was evident from our first meeting. They were attentive, without being intrusive, knowledgeable without being superior and genuinely interested in delivering exactly what i wanted.
The post purchase preparation even resulted in them paying for parts themselves and included delivery.
I have bought over 30 classic cars and this features as one of the most pleasure-able experiences, well done guys I’m sure you will be about for some considerable time
Mr N Campbell, Shrewsbury