Ford Capri 2.8 injection
1983 Ford Capri 2.8 injection.
- Black exterior with Shark Grey Recaro Interior.
- Early 5 speed example.
- Subject to concours quality restoration.
- Stainless Steel exhuast system
- All original features.
With European fastback styling similar to its American relative the Ford Mustang the Ford Capri was first introduced in 1968. Utilising common parts with the Cortina model the Capri proved hugely successful and by the end of production in 1986 more than 1.9 millions units had been built, with European models using a variety of engines, the Kent straight-four and Tanus V4 for the lower specification models and Essex and Cologne V6 engines for the range topping / performance models.
Over its 18yr production the Capri saw success in both Motorsport (winning the 1971/72 Drivers European Touring Car Championship in RS2600 form) and also saw screen success in the UK with the popular police crime-drama, The Professionals and 'underworld' comedy-drama Minder, using a number of Carpris in the making of theses series. By 1978 the Capri, now 10yrs old, needed a refresh and 'Project Carla' saw the complete make-over of the front grill / light assembly bringing the Capri more in line with Ford's new sporting model, the Escort RS2000.
By 1982 and with tighter emission controls, Ford needed to replace the Essex V6 3.0 and the Cologne V6 2.8 injection was introduced, with power increasing from 138bhp to 160bhp respectively. Along with the new engine Ford improved the MkIII Capri further by replacing the now tired chequered interior with more luxurious velour covered Recaros, Ford SVE (Special Vehicle Engineering) reworked the Wolfrace Sonic wheels to become the now affectionately known 13" 'Pepperpots' and in mid-1983 Ford introduced an all new 5 speed transmission which further enhanced the driving characteristics of this sporting Ford. The 2.8 Injection helped to extend the life of the Capri by some 2-3yrs and by 1986 with the sale of the final 1038 Capri 280 'Brooklands' models, Ford had run its course with the Capri and production came to an end.
Delivered new through Selwood Garages, Ford Main Dealer in May 1983, this Ford Capri 2.8 Injection is without question better than when new and comes with the following specification:
- Matching numbers 2.8 Injection V6 Cologne engine, mated to 5 Speed manual transmission.
- Black paintwork (code A9).
- Recaro Interior finished in Shark Grey.
- Original Ford AM/FM Radio Cassette.
- Period Top tinted windscreen.
- Tilt / Slide steel sunroof.
- Original 13" Pepperpot alloy wheels.
- Original Ford mudflaps.
In 2015 the Capri was purchased by a classic car enthusiast who set about entrusting the car with a specialist, commissioning a no expense spared approach to producing what we feel is the finest of its marque, with works including:
- Complete body strip down and photographic body restoration, followed by a two-pack (2k) respray in correct black followed by clear-coat lacquer. The paint finish is mirror glass smooth, with a reflection to match and is extended to the underside too which received the additional benefit of correct underbody anti-corrosion protection!
- All mechanical components stripped, checked for wear and either restored or replaced. The drive-train alone looks stunning, detailed correctly in every respect.
- Rocker Covers x2 stripped and powder-coated in correct factory grey.
- Radiator re-core and fan shroud stripped and powder-coated.
- Suspension fully stripped. Shock Absorbers uprated to SPAX, all bushes front / rear replaced and upgrade to Polyurethane, all new joints / bearings etc. All larger components painted / powder-coated.
- Rebuilt braking system including new disc / pads, calipers, brake master cylinder, servo etc.
- New OEM clutch.
- New fuel tank
- New Stainless Steel exhaust system.
- New tailgate gas struts.
- All fuel lines, brake lines, hoses replaced.
- All new nuts, bolts, fittings throughout, being either zinc or sherardised finished.
- All new window rubbers, sunroof seal.
- 13" 'Pepperpot' alloys stripped and refurbished and fitted with new tyres.
- Interior completely stripped, new carpets, seat covers, roof lining all specialist sourced and correct to factory spec.
- New 2.8 injection decals as per factory.
With a level of detail, bordering on compulsive this car will not disappoint any way! Walking around the car, its as if the she has been stored away in a secret, hidden out of sight since 1983. The doors open with a reassuring 'click' on the handle and nestling into the figure hugging Shark Grey Recaro seats, any enthusiast will have goose-pimples as the 2.8 litre injection V6 Cologne engine bursts into life and settles into its perfect idle. Depressing the clutch and engaging first gear of this early production 5 speed and with a few revs applied the car pulls away smoothly. Each gear change and squeeze of the throttle presses the occupants firmly into the Recaro seats, the drive-train is just wonderful, suspension firm, brakes reassuring and the exhaust note....a V6 vocal delight!
Devoid of any 'add-ons' this Capri is just as you would hope it be, the standard Ford Radio/Cassette, the perfect parcel shelf, the blemish free 'Pepperpots' with correct black wheel bolts, 'Capri' petrol cap, the 'Motorcraft' battery, factory correct decals the list goes on. With such an unbelievable attention to detail this Capri looks stunning, drives wonderfully and would happily see its place in any classic car / Ford enthusiasts collection, we simply don't think there's a finer example available.
+ Read More
- Read Less
"I purchased my Aston Martin DB9 Volante from Mark and the whole experience was a pleasure. Mark was very knowledgeable and very thorough, he had all the documentation and pedigree ready and available to view, the vehicle was clean and well presented. From the minute we arrived we were made very welcome and Mark made every effort to accommodate our wishes. I would certainly recommend engaging Mark’s services with regards to acquiring or selling high quality specialist vehicles.
Richard Christopher, Cheshire