1976 MG Midget 1500
- Flamenco Red with Black interior.
- Subject to professional restoration.
- Upgraded suspension.
- Stainless exhausts system.
- Minator 13" alloy wheels
- Full tonneau.
- Stainless luggage rack.
- Heritage Certificate.
The first ‘modern’ Midget was essentially a re-badged Austin Healey Sprite MkII which itself was a development from the the original 1958 MkI Sprite, more frequently known as the ‘Frogeye’. The MkI Midget, as announced in June 1961 and fitted with a 948cc “A” series engine was quite basic, with a very simple interior, side-screens and stowaway hood. However it did just what its creators intended, and offered sporting motoring for minimum cost. It differed from the Sprite by having a traditional MG style of grille and extra trim, a black instead of white steering wheel, and other small subtle differences, the uncomplicated but attractive car bringing under one litre motoring back to MG enthusiasts for the first time since 1936.
For the years 1961-71 the Midget remained relatively unchanged, with the majority to development restricted to mechanical upgrades, however in late '71 the Midget took on a new silhouette with the introduction of the MkIII RWA, a stylistically different car and for 3 years the, now 1275cc engined MkIII, featured round wheel arches instead of the familiar 'squared-off' arches. In 1974 the Midget saw its final major changes with the enforcement of US safety and emission regulations and the little soft-top now 'sported' rubber impact bumpers (similar to those found in marques big brother, the MGB) and a change in engine, now a 1500cc; with the 'Midget 1500' remaining in production until 1979, by which time over 200,000 units had been built in the 18 year production.
Delivered to its first owner in October 1976, through the Thompson Reid Ltd dealership, this Midget 1500 is finished in her original Flamenco Red and comes with a black interior and black hood, with this information matching the accompanying British Motor Heritage Certificate.
Utterly gorgeous, in '99 this Midget was treated to 'the works' by Maidstone Sports Cars, a highly respected MG / Triumph and British Motor Heritage approved specialist, with the works including:
- Bodywork - completely dismantled and every last item removed to reveal a bare tub. A new British Motor Heritage she was ordered, all welds sealed, full panel alignment carried out and the body then prepared for painting, with this being done in original Flamenco Red with modern two-pack paint, followed by a low oven bake. The underside, cavities where then all treated to waxoil a set of stainless steel sill guards fitted along with a stainless steel luggage rack. Body built up with all new rubbers throughout.
- Running gear - The 1500 cc engine was replaced with an upgraded (unleaded conversion) Ivor Searle unit, all new gaskets, hoses, water pump, alloy rocker-cover, carbs overhauled, K&N air filters, re-core of the radiator, new Maniflow Stainless Steel exhaust. The gearbox / rear axle have been checked for wear and any tired components replaced, replacement gasket and new clutch fitted. The braking system was fully overhauled (all new components where needed) and the suspension system has been upgraded to a Frontline suspension setup, adjustable front / rear shock-absorbers, upgrade anti-roll bars, lowered to chrome bumper ride height, polybushes throughout and the car fitted with a set of Minator 13" alloy wheels, now fitted with a matched set of Dunlop Street Performance 175/70/13 tyres.
- Electrics - New wiring loom and fuse box fitted. All exterior light fittings replaced and interior gauges checked for functionality.
- Interior - The seats were in excellent condition and these were refitted along with a new carpet set, 'MG logo rubber over-mats, boot / cargo area carpeted and a new replacement hood fitted along with the original full length tonneau.
With a rebuild cost in excess of £12500, the Midget had her clocks reset to zero miles and since completion she has driven circa 900 miles / year, now showing 18k miles and, add to this, a further £5k has been spent on further maintenance / upgrades and as such she remains in fantastic condition. Step into this Midget, turn the key and take her for a test drive and we guarantee that you'll have a huge grin on your face .... this Midget packs a punch and when pushed she sounds like an angry hornet, the raspy stainless exhaust popping on over-run, but set up to be quiet at cruising speeds.
Diminutive in stature, the Midget offers ample space for two, with weekend luggage to boot and having been previously subject to a top quality restoration this 1500 Midget still looks fantastic, drives brilliantly, comes with a great history file, her original toolkit and tonneau and offers a great way into the ownership of an iconic British classic.
+ Read More
- Read Less
I first met Mark & Carl back on 21st Jan this year ('19) when I went to view a Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Sport, a car I had wanted from back when I was a spotty faced 17 year old. This was a real bucket list moment, buying the car of your dreams that you now have the means to make reality.
On meeting the guys from Absolute Classic Cars I had a really good feeling. When I got there the car was on the ramp ready to be poked and probed. Mark told me a little bit about the car, lifted it on the ramp and let me get on with it, just the way I like to look at cars. Any questions I had he was there with the answer but what I really liked was how he and Carl interacted. The honesty was a real change for me from when normally looking at a car. There were a couple of things I picked out and instead of the usual "that's nothing to worry about", I got "we'll get that done before the car goes out", no excuses just simple honest answers and a promise to fix it.
Anyway long story short, I bought the car and had a list of things I wanted done on the car which were all agreed to be done, in the negotiated price, prior to delivery. Every single thing on that list was done to a superb standard, to be honest it exceeded my expectations and more. Today when the car arrived I could not stop grinning from ear to ear. It was a really emotional moment, a dream fulfilled!
In the last 40 years I have never bought the first car I looked at, however this time I made an exception as I was so impressed with both the car and the people. We are so used to getting rubbish service and substandard misdescribed cars from the motor trade and I found that I was caught a little offguard here which took me a while to get to grips with .... but all in a very nice way.
What makes Absolute Classic Cars different is they care, are honest, knowledgeable and nothing is a problem, big or small. They want you to have the car you want to buy, not the car they necessarily have for sale. I don't think I've ever met two people in the motor trade less interested in pressurising you into buying, they'd rather not sell you the car if it's not 100% the car you want to buy.
From that first meeting to delivery today it has been a fantastic experience. This whole process has been an absolute pleasure, not the normal chore car buying turns into, I would and will be recommending Absolute Classic Cars to anyone that wants a classic car.
Mr Staton, London