Renault 5 GT Turbo - SOLD
1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo
- Sensational Phase 2 example.
- 1.4 litre Garret T2 Turbocharged engine with 5 speed manual.
- Finished in optional Pearl White.
- Only 58k miles.
- Detailed recent restoration / history file.
Think "hot-hatch" and Renault and most people default to the much loved Clio Williams, possibly the Clio Cup or Trophy and if you're a youngster then probably the Twingo 133, but what if you're of a certain age.....maybe reaching the 'mid-life crisis'....then there has to be only one Renault, the Renault 5 GT Turbo! Forget the genetically modified Group 4 (todays WRC) inspired 5 Turbo, with its flared arches, £70k+ price tag and rear-engined and rear-wheel drive, it's the front-engined 5 GT Turbo that's the daddy of all the modern fast Renault hatches.
Launched in its Phase 1 guise (built '85-87) the 5 GT Turbo with its sports styling (some thought the fake rear arch vents 'vile'), figure hugging sports seats, sports decals, full instrumentation featuring the all important 'TURBO' boost gauge, alloy wheels, and powered by a 1.4 litre Garret T2 Turbo-charged engine the Renault 5 GT Turbo offered impressive power at 115bhp. These figures might sound dismal, in modern context, but in 1985 and with the car topping the scales at only 830kg, the performance was a revelation, so much so that the advertising campaign featured a 5 GT Turbo performing on the drag-strip with a 7.5 second 0-60mph sprint, fast than any of its rivals!
Replacing the original Renault 5 GT Turbo Phase 1 cars in 1988, the Phase 2 5 GT Turbo featured redesigned and colour coded front / rear bumpers / side-skirts, a revised front grill, new decals, a new design of the 13" alloy wheels, modified suspension settings (reducing overall ride height further and improving handling), optional red or grey interior carpet, a new two-tone black / grey with contrast red pattern material for the seats and a new cooling system (including manifold and turbocharger water cooling) and along with a revised engine ignition module (raising revs by 500 rpm) this offered the car better all round drive ability and with a few more horse-power too, with the engine now producing 120bhp......take zat Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI!
Delivered to its first owner a Mr Friend, through the Fields of Crawley Ltd, Renault dealership on the 2nd June 1988, this Phase 2 Renault 5 GT Turbo looks every bit as striking today as it did on the day of delivery and comes with the following specification?
- Matching numbers 1.4 litre Garett T2 Turbocharged engine, mated to a 5 speed manual transmission.
- Pearl White Supergloss metallic paintwork (code 168) - Factory optional extra.
- 'Petale' Sports Seats finished in Black / Grey with Red accent.
- Green tinted glass all round.
- Central Locking with infra-red remote control.
- Red Carpets - now with OE Renault rubber mats.
- Electric Windows.
- 13" Alloy wheels.
- Leather steering wheel & Gear-knob.
- Uprated Sports Suspension.
A review of the history file confirms this sensational Renault 5 GT Turbo has only had 3 keepers from new and after a period of long-term storage, the car was brought into the custodianship of her 3rd owner who set about recommissioning and restoring the car with a fastidious attention to detail, with works including:
- Complete body strip down with all bumpers, mouldings, doors, bonnet, tailgate and all glass removed, followed by a professional respray in correct factory Pearl White Supergloss metallic paint followed by clear-coat lacquer. As such the paintwork has a wonderful shine, she looks just stunning and has a reflection to match. In preparing the car for road use post restoration the car has been waxoiled in the cavities, and the underbody has received a careful application of Dinotrol underbody anti-corrosion protection!
- A New OE Green bonded windscreen has been fitted.
- Front / rear sub-frames have been stripped down and painted and all new bushes fitted where necessary.
- Suspension / steering components stripped / painted, new OE shock absorbers, Polyurethane top mounts fitted, bearings, all new bushes and new track-rod ends.
- Axles stripped and checked for wear. New bearings fitted, brake calipers cleaned / painted and new front / rear discs and pads fitted.
- New OE exhaust.
- All new Phase 2 Renault 5 GT Turbo decals as per factory.
- New OE front / rear mats.
- Full mechanical check - replacement water pump, thermostat, rebuilt T2 Turbocharger, hoses, all oils / filters changed, new Bosch fuel pump. Various new gaskets, engine fully set up, tappets checked and now running Mobil 1 oil, correct Type D Coolant and new gearbox oil.
- Correct Phase 2 Speedline alloy wheels fully refurbished and fitted with a matched set of Yokohama A539 tyres (6mm +).
Standing next to this Renault 5 GT Turbo, you're immediately taken back to the mid-80's, but unlike just about every other R5 GTT, that's only just survived the last 30 years, it's as if the car has been squirreled away; she's completely pure, devoid of any dump valves, slammed suspension mods, 'Max-Power' add-ons or boot-mounted Subwoofers, she really is, just as the discerning classic enthusiast would want to find her. Openning the doors and 'oh-la-la' the interior is immaculate too, the 'Petale' sports seats hug snuggly, the leather steering wheel positioned nicely to offer a clear view to the road ahead, dials, and other switch-gear and its great to note that all the electrics working perfectly. Turn the key, add a little 'choke' from cold and the sweet 1.4 litre turbo-charged engine comes to life, no dramas. The gearbox remains tight and once out on the open road and up to temperature you can begin to enjoy all the character this 80's classic has to offer. There's no question that this Renault 5 GT Turbo has all the qualities we want in all great hot hatch, it’s exciting, it’s addictive and when you begin to push on you know that the car is on your side.
Looking utterly sensational, this Pearl White Renault 5 GT Turbo is a real rarity on the road and with only 58k miles on the clock, a record of its restoration (parts invoices for £4500 only, photographs plus countless hours labour), her original book pack, the rarely accompanying factory build card, 2 keys with 'blip' remotes, original sales brochure, record of previous keepers, clear HPI report and 12 month MOT we have no doubt this Phase 2 example is one of the finest in the UK and a reminder that Renault 5 GT Turbo is the genesis of the modern Renault hot hatch!
+ Read More
- Read Less
After searching for many months for my ideal Jaguar E-type I came across what appeared to be a lovely example for sale by Absolute Classic Cars. I had been determined at the outset of my search that I would find a car that had been completely restored to a very high standard, yet restored in a sympathetic way where it would still be as original as possible, particularly with regards to original engine, chassis and bodywork numbers being present. I investigated many examples of the marque over some months, spreading my net far and wide, including seeing some excellent examples dotted around Europe.
What caught me eye with Absolute’s example was the stunning photography and superb narrative history of the car that was presented in the sale details. After many previous (at times torturous) interchanges with other vendors trying to get to the critical information of a vehicle, doing so with Mark was an absolute breeze. With specific questions answered rapidly and accurately, I grew confident that here was a company that was going the extra mile to not only market superb examples of cars, but that also had a deep love and knowledge of the subject. Mark opened the premises especially for me on a Sunday afternoon for a viewing, and after 24 hours of deliberation I was delighted to proceed. Not only did Mark make the transaction painless, he also personally delivered the car over a long distance to me in a covered trailer on a date that suited, in a fabulous example of exemplary service. If I’m ever lucky enough to be in a position again to make a similar purchase, I would certainly contact Mark again - he is an industry gentleman.
Mr Molyneux, London